In the September 2015 edition of the Producer Letter for TERA, Patrick “Treeshark” Sun discussed the current state of the game and what’s to come in the future, which includes a revamped starting experience! Let’s get started, shall we?
Current State of the Game
Recent patches brought several things to the game, such as Dreamstorm, a new BuddyUp system, a Dressing Room, and the Gridiron battleground. Unfortunately, some not so positive changes were brought to TERA as well, and the developers hope to address those with upcoming patches.
- Gold Drops: Gold drops were recently severely altered to combat botting in other TERA regions. But En Masse are doing a pretty good job of combating botting already, so these changes mostly affected the active community. So most of these changes will be reverted to get things back to the way they were.
- Dungeon Drops: En Masse is currently discussing what changes can be implemented in dungeons to improve dungeon drops. In the past, changes have been made to help improve areas like this in TERA. However, this caused some problems, both in how these updates were maintained and how much they impact the actual game. Because of this fact, Bluehole has agreed to make these changes directly in the game build. Getting these changes will take a bit longer, but it will be better for the game in the long run. This’ll help streamline the process and create a more stable build with fewer inconsistencies going forward.
- Lagging/Freezing Issues: Some lag issues have been cropping up recently, and they are being investigated. This problem has apparently been very difficult because of the complexities involved with recent change sin a third-party company’s software. More information about this issue can be found here.
What else is on the Horizon?
- Bluehole Studios has been wanting to improve the starting experience for TERA for a while now, and it will finally happen! A new character creation and character selection screen, as well as a new beginning island to replace the Island of Dawn is arriving in October. It’ll present all players with a new introduction to TERA, and feature a story about a giant tree towering over the island.
- Also arriving in October, will be the first North American community designed costume set. The set will be unveiled to celebrate Halloween in TERA.
- A new class is on its way as well: the Brawler. The Brawler is a melee tank that uses her fists. The brawler will be a human female class that starts at level 1. Her primary weapon will be her powerfists, powered gauntlets to help dish the damage and attract all the danger nearby. With the Brawler comes a new set of top gear, which will combine PvE and PvP sets into a unified set of gear for players to use.
This Producer Letter also took the time to introduce Matt Denomme to the TERA team as Senior Producer. Denomme had worked at En Masse since February 2012 and has worked on TERA through its initial launch and the free-to-play transition. He then became producer of Zombies Monsters Robots, but recently re-joined the TERA team in May to lend support with the Steam launch.
That’s about it for this Producer Letter. Are you excited for the new starter experience and the Brawler class? Let us know in the comments below!
Source: TERA Producer LetterRelated: Bluehole Studio, En Masse, MMORPG, News, TERA, Update