With Patch 7.3 released yesterday, it left many wondering where the Netherlight Crucible is. Blizzard decided to wait on releasing the Netherlight Crucible until week 3 of Patch 7.3, allowing us to enjoy the story without stressing about unlocking the Netherlight Crucible as fast as we can to try and get ahead. Don’t worry about doing the right quests, just follow the storyline and once you get the quest An Offering of Shadow and complete it, that’s when you know you’ve done the last quest to unlock the Crucible. For those of you that don’t know or understand what the Netherlight Crucible is, let me explain it for you.
There are three relic tiers that you will unlock for each relic slot. The first tier of Crucible traits increases the item level of your artifact by +5 per relic, for a total of +15 item levels to your artifact weapon. The second tier lets you choose between a randomly-generated Light and Shadow ability. These are passive traits that give you a different buff depending what kind of rng that relic received. Whichever second tier choice you pick will lock you out of one tier 3 option. The third tier lets you choose between one of three randomly-generated minor traits for your artifact. These minor traits cannot double up with the original trait on your relic (meaning you can’t get the same trait that relic already has). Once you choose which tier ability you want there is no going back, you cannot re-spec once locked in. Some good news is that there is a preview window that will allow you to check any new relics to see if they are worth it before having to replace a current relic slot.
Tier 2 Unlock Levels and Abilities
These traits are locked behind your Artifact Power Levels.
- Artifact Trait 60 for the first relic slot
- Artifact Trait 63 for the second relic slot
- Artifact Trait 66 for the third relic slot
These might seem like high levels to get to, but by the time the Netherlight Crucible releases we will be at Artifact Knowledge 43 which will make reaching these levels a lot easier.
Here is a list of the different Light and Shadow abilities that can show up for your relics.
- Master of Shadows – Mastery increased by 1,000. Avoidance increased by 1,000.
- Murderous Intent – Your Versatility is increased by 1750 while Concordance of the Legionfall is active.
- Shadowbind – Your damaging spells and abilities have a chance to deal 166,000 Shadow damage and heal you for 166,000. Approximately 2 procs per minute.
- Chaotic Darkness – Your damaging spells and abilities have a chance to deal 60,000 to 300,000 Shadow damage and heal you for 60,000 to 300,000. Approximately 2 procs per minute.
- Torment the Weak – Your damaging spells and abilities have a chance to deal 99,000 Shadow damage over 15 sec. This effect stacks up to 3 times. Approximately 4 procs per minute.
- Dark Sorrows – Your damaging spells and abilities have a chance to afflict the target with Sorrow, causing it to burst after 8 sec, dealing 133,100 Shadow damage within 8 yards. Approximately 1 procs per minute.
- Light Speed – Haste increased by 650. Movement speed increased by 650.
- Refractive Shell – Your spells and abilities have the chance to cause Refractive Shell, absorbing 200,000 damage. Lasts 10 sec. Approximately 2 procs per minute.
- Shocklight – While Concordance of the Legionfall is active, your Critical Strike is increased by 1,750.
- Infusion of Light – Your damaging spells and abilities have the chance to deal 126,000 additional Holy damage. Your healing spells and abilities have a chance to heal for 116,000. Approximately 4 procs per minute.
- Secure in the Light – Your damaging spells and abilities have the chance to deal 155,000 additional Holy damage. Your healing spells and abilities have a chance to grant Holy Bulwark, absorbing 77,500 damage over 10 sec. Approximately 3 procs per minute.
- Light’s Embrace – Taking damage has a chance to grant you Light’s Embrace, restoring 36,000 health over 6 sec. Light’s Embrace may stack up to 5 times. Approximately 8 procs per minute.
Tier 3 Unlock Levels
Just like tier 2, these are also locked behind your Artifact Power Levels.
- Artifact Trait 69 for the first relic slot
- Artifact Trait 72 for the second relic slot
- Artifact Trait 75 for the third relic slot
Now, these levels will take time to unlock but with how powerful it will make our weapons that’s okay. With every week increasing our Artifact Knowledge, in time reaching Artifact Trait 75 will seem like it’s nothing. For example, on the PTR my character had Artifact Knowledge 49 and with that, one world quest would have given me 1.2 billion Artifact Power.
There is a downside to there being different paths to follow. Players like myself that love to min max will be looking to those math wizard theory crafters to tell us the optimal path to follow. At first it won’t be too difficult to understand the right paths to follow, but once you start getting into item levels vs traits, that’s when those theory crafters are going to come in and save the day. For anyone that doesn’t know where to look for these amazing people, check your class Discord. Class Discords are there to help with any questions you may have. They are filled with guides and more information than you could imagine to help you out, and if you can’t find what you need there are people always on that you can ask for help. If you don’t like your class Discord, there are class specific websites built for the same reason.
Honestly, I really like the Netherlight Crucible. We’ve all been there when we have to replace a best in slot relic trait with a crappy relic trait just because of item levels. This will give those relics a chance to roll a great trait, turning them from crappy to good or even great relics. Yes, of course, there is rng involved but what doesn’t in this expansion. I have hope that it will turn out better than what everyone is expecting, but we won’t know until it hits live.
Let us know in the comments what your feeling are about the Netherlight Crucible and how you think it will turn out.Related: Blizzard Entertainment, Classes, Column, MMORPG, PvE, World of Warcraft, WoW Wednesday