Super Evil Megacorp revealed the official commercial launch date for their critically acclaimed Vainglory today. The official release will be July 2, 2015. Players will be able to get the launch update of Vainglory on the App Store and Google Play.
Vainglory for Google Play Announced
An early version of Vainglory was released on the App Store in November 2014. During the past six months, it has grown rapidly in critical acclaim, streaming viewership, eSports participation, and overall player base size. Due to this, Vainglory will celebrate its official global launch on July 1 with an exclusive event broadcasted live from Twitch Headquarters in San Francisco.
The launch update to Vainglory introduces new key features, content, Android support for over 150 devices, Casual and Ranked queues, an innovative three-tiered skins system, hours of tutorial content, and a new hero (Vainglory’s 16th): Rona the Berserker.
Players can pre-register for Vainglory on Android here.
Bo Daly, CEO and co-founder of Super Evil Megacorp shared a few words this morning about the game’s launch:
“We are determined to shatter preconceived notions about what’s possible on touch devices and bring the core gamer experience we grew up with to the mobile generation. We have built Vainglory together with an incredible community of players to create an experience that players can enjoy for months and years to come,” he said. “If we were a PC title, July 2 would be the day we would come out of beta. Vainglory is not a ‘mobile game’ and Super Evil Megacorp is not a ‘mobile games studio.’ We make core games for core gamers and believe touch screens are the future primary core gaming devices.”
The launch comes two weeks ahead of the first Vainglory Worlds Invitational Tournament in Seoul, Korea.. Super Evil Megacorp is also organizing a special 24-hour Twitch broadcast on the official Vainglory channel, twitch.tv/vainglory. The event kicks off July 1 at 2 p.m. PDT with a live broadcast from Twitch HQ. After that, Vainglory streamers from around the world will take over the Vainglory Twitch channel one after, creating a world-wide community-made broadcast.
The July 2 launch will include a variety of new key features and content:
- Android support: With over 150 Android devices supported, Vainglory is 100% cross-platform, meaning that players on iOS and Android will play in the same matches and can be in-game friends regardless of device preference.
- Casual and Ranked queues: This allows players who just want to have fun to play casual public matches, but it also provides those looking for an intense competitive experience a place to play hard for skill-tier prestige. The Ranked queue is gated by a number of requirements that ensure only experienced, dedicated players are involved and playing with skilled players of like-minded intent.
- Newest hero: Rona is a deadly berserker who is always ready to leap into battle. She holds her own in melee combat, unleashing enormous damage on everyone who tries to go toe-to-toe with her.
- Innovative skins system: All heroes will eventually have a three-tiered skin theme, which influences both the hero’s appearance and visual effects in-game. These skins get progressively more elaborate and surprising as the tiers progress, giving players something exciting — both inside matches and out — to always be striving toward. The first tier of a skin theme can be unlocked using ICE, Vainglory’s premium (paid) currency, but the other tiers must be unlocked with the cards that drop randomly at the end of matches. Players can also use ICE or Glory (free currency accumulated by playing games) to unlock card packs in a new section of the in-game Market being unveiled in this update.
- Hours of tutorial videos, a revamped Academy and bots to practice against: New players can now learn the basics in the Academy, which includes 30 videos with tips on how to play. Vainglory also has a cooperative mode where players can get comfortable with the game, its tactics and its teamwork against basic bots.