The Reaper of Souls himself has made his presence known to the Nexus. Malthael is the newest addition to the Heroes of the Storm roster, with a variety of chilling skills for Assassin role players to take advantage of.
One of Maltahel’s defining features is his Reaper’s Mark passive Trait, which Reveals non-Structure targets who are hit with his basic attacks and makes targets take 2.5% of their maximum health as damage every second. The majority of Malthael’s active skills make use of the Reaper’s Mark, such as Soul Rip, which damages nearby afflicted enemies and heals Malthael for each target struck.
Malthael’s Heroic Abilities further his title as the Aspect of Death, particularly with Last Rites, an attack that strikes a targeted Hero for 50% of their missing health after a 2-second delay. Additionally, this skill has a Repeatable Quest that reduces the cooldown on Last Rites by five seconds for every enemy it kills, up to a maximum of 15 seconds.
Blizzard has also provided a list of Malthael’s Talents, which can be seen below:
- Level 1: Death’s Reach – Increase Wraith Strike’s range by 35%.
- Level 1: On a Pale Horse – Gain an additional 20% Movement Speed while mounted.
- Level 1: Fear the Reaper – [Active] Activate to increase Movement Speed by 25% and pass through other units for 4 seconds.
- Level 4: Die Alone – Soul Rip deals 75% more damage if it hits only one Hero.
- Level 4: Throwing Shade Quest – Hit 20 Heroes with Death Shroud.
- Reward: Permanently increase Death Shroud’s range by 33%, and reduce its cooldown by 2 seconds.
- Level 4: Black Harvest Quest – [Trait] Apply Reaper’s Mark to Heroes for a total of 150 seconds.
- Reward: Permanently increase Reaper’s Mark’s duration by 2 seconds.
- Level 7: Cold Hand – Soul Rip Slows enemies by 20% for 2.5 seconds.
- Level 7: Mortality – When damaging a Hero, Wraith Strike deals bonus damage equal to 4% of the Hero’s maximum Health.
- Level 7: Touch of Death – [Active] Activate to reduce healing received by Heroes afflicted by Reaper’s Mark by 50% for 4 seconds.
- Level 10: Tormented Souls – Gain 20 Armor and unleash a torrent of souls, continually applying Reaper’s Mark to nearby enemies for 4 seconds.
- Level 10: Last Rites – Apply a death sentence to an enemy Hero that, after 2 seconds, deals damage equal to 50% of their missing Health.
- Repeatable Quest: Enemies killed while under the effect of Last Rites permanently reduce its cooldown by 5 seconds, to a minimum of 15 seconds.
- Level 13: Soul Siphon – Increase Soul Rip’s bonus healing from Heroes to 4% of the Hero’s maximum Health.
- Level 13: Ethereal Existence – [Trait] Gain 15 Physical Armor per enemy Hero afflicted by Reaper’s Mark, up to a maximum of 45.
- Level 13: Inevitable End [Active] Activate to become Unstoppable for 2 seconds, but remove all active Reaper’s Marks.
- Level 13: Shroud of Wisdom – [Active] After 2 seconds, gain 50 Spell Armor for 4 seconds.
- Level 16 Soul Collector – Reduce Soul Rip’s cooldown by 0.5 seconds and increase its range by 50%.
- Level 16: Massacre – Wraith Strike now damages and applies Reaper’s Mark to enemies around its target.
- Level 16: Memento Mori – [Trait] Reaper’s Mark deals 100% increased damage after afflicting an enemy for more than 4 seconds.
- Level 20: Reaper of Souls – While Tormented Souls is active, Hero Takedowns extend its duration by 4 seconds.
- Level 20: Angel of Death – Last Rites heals for 100% of the damage dealt, and its current and future cooldown reduction bonuses are doubled.
- Level 20: Final Curtain – Death Shroud leaves a trail in its wake for 4 seconds, applying Reaper’s Mark to enemies in its area.
- Level 20: No One Can Stop Death – [Active] Activate while dead to immediately respawn at the Altar but increase Malthael’s next respawn time by 25%.
You can find the full rundown of Maltahel’s abilities on the Heroes of the Storm website, and check out a video showing off his skins and various other updates in development below.
Nearly everything about Malthael relies on applying and taking advantage of Reaper’s Mark, meaning that getting close to this particular character is a dangerous proposition. He definitely sounds like a certainly deadly Assassin and we’re looking forward to his arrival to Heroes of the Storm.
Source: press release